The spring has finally arrived and with the fresh air, warmer weather, and longer days often comes a shift in appetites. Rather than wanting the heavy meals of the winter months, most people start to think in terms of fresher, lighter meals that celebrate the season. This is a wonderful opportunity to encourage more nutrition for your parent and even help them to shed the extra pounds that they might have added during the cold weather season.
Try some of these delicious ways to boost nutrition and support better health for your aging parent through fresh spring meals:
- Pasta is a family favorite, but it isn’t always the healthiest option. Reduce carbs and calories, increase fiber, and boost vitamins and minerals by replacing traditional pasta noodles with those made of zucchini or yellow squash
- Pack more vegetables into a pasta sauce for a satisfying, nutrition-rich primavera
- Sprinkle fiber powder into sauces or soups to easily increase intake without changing the flavor
- Start the day with a satisfying smoothie that is easy to consume but filled with nutrition to get your parent through the day. Make it even better for your parent by adding a handful of leafy greens such as spinach to fruity mixes
- Satisfy a sweet tooth without overdoing it on calories or fat with a light treat such as a pavlova. Made with a base of crispy meringue and topped with fruit and whipped cream, this dessert encourages your parent to get an extra serving of fruit and features textures and flavors that seem indulgent without being too decadent
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be extremely meaningful and fulfilling, but it can also be stressful. Trying to manage all of your parent’s needs as well as those of your children, your marriage, your home, your career, and any other obligations can make you feel overwhelmed and as though you are always trying to finish more than you have the time to do. Fortunately, home care can be there for you. An in-home care provider can step in to fill care gaps, manage potentially sensitive tasks that your parent or you are not comfortable with you handling, provide additional support and companionship, and give your parent the personalized services that they need to have the highest quality of life as they age in place. As their caregiver this will ease your stress, give you more time, and allow you to focus on all of the responsibilities of your life in the ways that are right for you and for your parent.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregivers in Point Pleasant, NJ, contact the caring staff at Care Street Home Care’s Ocean/Monmouth Division. Call today 732-719-7011.