October 4 is National Kale Day. You have likely heard a considerable amount about kale in recent years, but you might not know how healthy this dark, leafy green really is, or how you can deliciously integrate it into your parent’s diet in your routine as their family caregiver.
Some of the potential health benefits of kale include:
• A full cup of raw kale has only 33 calories, making it satisfying without bulking up calorie intake
• A serving has 134 percent of daily vitamin C requirements
• A serving has nearly 700 percent of daily vitamin K requirements
• A serving has more than 200 percent of daily vitamin A requirements
• Exceptional source of calcium that is more readily absorbed by the body than dairy products
• Good source of iron
• Anti-inflammatory properties that can ease chronic pain and other illnesses
• Reduces the risk of a variety of cancers
• High levels of fiber that provide a sense of satiety that can reduce appetite and calorie intake, aids in healthy digestion, helps to control cholesterol, and can help to manage or reduce the risk of diabetes
• Great for weight management
• Each serving has a relatively high 3 grams of protein, an essential nutrient responsible for wound healing, cellular production and renewal, energy production, and more
• Detoxifying properties thought to provide a range of benefits, including reducing size of fat cells
If you have been looking for ways to improve your parent’s quality of life as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting home care for them. An in-home senior care services provider can fill any care gaps that might exist in your care routine, ensuring that your aging parent gets all of the care, support, and assistance that they need to stay safe, healthy, comfortable, and happy throughout their later years. This can be exceptionally beneficial to your senior, but also to you as their family caregiver. If you have limitations or challenges that keep you from being able to fulfill all of your aging parent’s needs, you live at a distance and are not able to be with your parent as frequently as you would want to be, or your schedule is such that you feel that your parent’s needs are not being fulfilled effectively, this care provider can step in to ensure that their needs are handled in the way that is right for them. This will give you peace of mind that they can enjoy the best quality of life possible as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Perth Amboy, NJ, please contact the caring staff at Care Street Home Care of New Brunswick today. Call (732) 607-8870.